China – Abandonment & Disabilities
Facts about China
- China is the world's most populous nation with 1.3 billion people.
- More than 50% of all people live in the vicinity of cities, a number that continues to increase each year.
- Population is aging, with proportion of people over 60 increasing.
Source: Stats as of 31 Dec. 2011 http://www.stats.gov.cn/english/newsandcomingevents/t20120120_402780233.htm
Disabilities in China
- More than 82 million people in China have disabilities.
- Of that number, almost 52% are male and 48% are female.
- More than 75% of people with disabilities live in rural areas, the rest live in urban areas.
- Nationwide, there are almost 4 million disabled children aged 0-14.